Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Final Countdown

It's been a while hasn't it. Boy, life has just taken some crazy turns for me lately. I've recieved several emails from concerned followers (thank you) and decided I should fill everyone in on whats been going on.

Back in Jan. I was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer. While it's not the best news- it's extremely common and very treatable. First thing to do- have the thyroid removed. However, in the process of preparing for surgery I was diagnosed with a completely unrelated blood condition called ITP (Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia Pupura). Basically my body started destroying my platelets and we don't know why. We think I may have had this condition for a while and didn't even know. Anyway, before I could have my thyroid surgery I ended up needed to have my spleen out first so that I would have enough platelets and not bleed out during the thyroid surgery. So in the beginning of March I had my spleen removed. Everything went well and my recovery was normal. It just meant I had to splend a few days in the hospital. My platelet count surged and 2 weeks later I went in for my Thyroidectomy. That surgery went well also. However the thyroid messes with lots of stuff and although I was physically recovering well, I needed to stay in the hospital a few extra days while my calcium levels regulated. A week later I had another hospital stay because of my fluctuating calcium levels. 16 out of 30 days in the hospital- not fun.

Needless to say my little business has taken a back seat. Unfortunately International Quilt market is only weeks away. For any of you that have has thyroid imbalance or know someone with similar thyroid issues- not having a thyroid wreaks havoc on the body. I'm very tired and achy all the time. At some point it will get better and I'll be regulated with medication, but for now it's yucky.

I just wanted to let everyone know why there hasn't been updates lately. I'm doing lots better but all of my enegry and focus is on getting ready for Quilt Market right now. Other than designing new patterns I have a few 'secrets' I've been working on behind the scenes. If you'll be in MN for Spring Market- make sure you come by our booth an say 'HI!' For the rest of you- I hope to be back to regular posting soon.

Happy Quilting!

20 comments:

paulette said...

Hang in there!! So happy that you are on the mend! Take care and blog when you can....we will always be here!!
Paulette

onlymehere said...

Oh my gosh, what an ordeal. I do feel for you. I have a couple of friends who have gone through the whole shebang with thyroid cancer. I have hypothyroidism so I know what you mean by when the thyroid is out of whack how it affects your whole body and whole life. The fatigue itself is debilitating sometimes. Get well soon and I'm glad to at least know that you're hopefully on the mend. Take care of yourself!

Caroline ~ TrilliumDesign said...

Well sounds like things are getting better at least. Hang in there! Medical stuff sucks.

luv2quilt2 said...

I didn't 'find' your blog until recently, so I had no idea you were going through such a difficult time. It's good to hear that you're on the road to recovery.

Nancy said...

oh, I know exactly what you are going through... I had a benign nodule,so I had my thyroid zapped with a radioactive pill...
I still went through all the mucky mucky stuff. Legs swollen, tired, achy, hair loss... it was bad.. I won't kid you. It has been 6 years now and I am so much better. Once they get your meds squared away, which took almost a year for me...I am back to normal (the kids would tell you I was never normal in the beginning, but what do they know). Please do one thing...ASK for a Handicap Sticker for the car. It helped me tremendously .. I

Jan said...

Glad you are on the mend and hope you feel stronger every day. Hope you have a good time at market and take care of yourself!

Janet said...

Oh my gosh I can't believe you're not putting things on hold 'til you recover. Please take care of yourself; have a good Spring Market; and take care of yourself.

Shannon said...

Good to hear from you. It's getting close isn't it. Only 16 more days. I'm getting excited but I hope you soon get feeling better so you can ejooy the trip. You know I'm here to help you. Talk to you soon. P.S. the handicap sticker is not a bad idea. Ask your Dr. about that.
Love ya, Shannon

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

You certainly have been dealing with lots of not fun stuff. Hope you are better soon and can enjoy market. I will stop by and say hi!

Barb said...

OH my goodness...you have been put through the ringer and hung out wet.....I hope you have a speedy recovery, just know you have been missed.

Pokey said...

Your on the prayer list, Hoping that things go well, and you'll feel your old self soon.

DIDI said...

I hope you really do get better soon!

Biquiños (which is a friendly spanish word for hugs and kisses)

Beth said...

You really have had a lot to deal with this year. I hope that now your meds will stabilize soon and you will feel better. Good luck a market.

Jane said...

Oh my you've had alot to deal with lately!! Take care of yourself and good luck at Market!

Janell said...

Em, you are amazing. Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you. I was talking to a friend the other day who had thyroid cancer and had her thyroid removed. She too said it took about a year for her to get regulated on the meds, and now it is so much better.
Take care of yourself!

Unknown said...

My goodness! I'll be at Quilt Market also and if you need anything just say the word!

Shelley said...

Have thyroid issues too so I can relate...GET WELL SOON!:) Remember the body may be slow but the mind can still design..get out a notebook and write it all down!

Janny said...

You are a hero! All this is a hard thing to handle plus trying to get the thyroid hormones situated. I wish you the best ever! I am also a cancer survivor, the cancer word is bad enough, fortunatly mine was colon cancer, so I don't have the thyroid issues. See you are an inspiration!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Oh my goodness, you've had a lot to deal with. Take it easy, and take care of your health first. Whatever you don't get done for the festival can be done for next year's.

Sami Carter said...

Good luck with your recovery, Kira Shannon's daughter told me that you were going threw the same thing that I am. Sorry I know that I'm a complete stranger but its nice to know that I'm not the only person going threw this. I start my isolation tomorrow, I hope when you get home everything goes well for you and you guys have a great time back east! I hope you have lots and lots of energy...caffine has been a life savor for me the low iodine diet not so much, but there is a low iodine cookbook available on the web and I've really enjoyed a lot of the recipes. Again good luck and I hope you get well soon.