Friday, March 2, 2012

Unexpected Inspiration

Just last week I shared with you a couple stacks of fabric that I had planned to make mini quilts. Well sometimes something unexpected can change those plans. A few days after that post I was doing some online shopping when I came across this picture:


As soon  as I saw it I knew just what that bundle of fabric was going to make.

I'm calling her Lacey Gracey.


I used the stack of varying greys and added a few that I came across at my LQS because they were so perfect- Puttin on the Ritz (grey) by Bunny Hill Designs.

Each section of fabric has a different quilting design. I wanted to continue the feeling of different laces and ribbons.


I LOVE how it turned out!

It's definately bigger than a 'mini' quilt but still quite small. It's a nice baby size though.
The different laces I used were actually from the local Walmart. The wider of the 3 was a by-the-yard cut while the other two were spools that I bought. I really wanted to head to the antiques shop for some vintage lace but I was more anxious to just get sewing.


So what do you think? Would you like a tutorial on this little cutie? Let me know because I took tons of pictures of the process.  :o)

20 comments:

BijouxBaby said...

I love it! I have a bunch of vintage laces trims and linens that I've never known what do to with. This might be a good project.

Anna @FreshDewDrops said...

Lovely! I have a friend a small quilt like this would be perfect for, just perfect. Did you sew on the lace after quilting? I for one am very interested in the process.

Karens Quilts, Crows and Cardinals said...

Emily -- I love it ! So unique and very tasteful! The lace and the quilting make it "just so".

I vote for tutorial too !!

Thanks,
Karen

Sequana said...

It's so different and pretty. I'd love to see a tute. Thx for offering.

Kate Brown said...

That is really pretty,the greys with the lace is really a nice combination.

Penny Barnes said...

Seriously...could you be any more amazing? It is beautiful!!!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

I think it is great! Isn't it neat where we find inspiration from!
Quilting by the River

Cristina said...

It's fabulous!! Please please pretty please with sugar on top will you post a tutorial?? (I'll throw in a cherry too if you want)

Kristi said...

I love Lacey Gracey!!

QuiltNut Creations said...

Love Maurices! And I absolutely love your quilt!!

Yvonne said...

So cute! great idea!

Kritta22 said...

Wow! Soo creative!! Great job!

Dawnmarie's Life said...

I absolutely adore it! I'd love to know how you did it, especially the lace stuff.

jen said...

Just lovely!

Jenniffier said...

That is so wonderful! You did a great job.

Chrissy said...

What a great idea! Isn't that one of the best things about quilting? I love it when inspiration hits right out of the blue.

Sherry said...

What a lovely quilt. I love the grays and the lace.

Unknown said...

I've never seen anything like it! It's BEAUTIFUL!!! I would definitely like a tutorial!!! :)

The Peacock family said...

I love it... Gorgeous!!! Not to mention I LOVE LOVE grey and I love all the textures and different quilting.

Turid said...

Oh beautiful, and I'm looking forward to the tutorial!